Let me tell you a thing or two about fennel: it’s fresh, purifying and a perfect palate cleanser! Its simplicity is at the base of one of our favorite summer recipes, fennel salad! This remarkable little side dish doesn’t play second fiddle to anyone. As a matter of fact, it holds its own when paired with robust meat entrée such as roasts, meat loafs and why not, even competition-size t-bone steak!
The sweet anise aftertaste strikes a perfect balance with the spiciness of the radishes. The recipe calls for cucumbers but my husband Roberto is not a big fan so we keep that to a minimum. Everything is topped with crushed hazelnuts, a touch of fresh dill and a hint of inspiration.
We keep the dressing simple, olive oil and lemon vinaigrette. Keep in mind that a little bit goes a long way. If you prefer a stronger dressing, don’t be shy to give a greek yogurt dill dressing a try. You’ll be surprised at what it can do for this simple little dish!
- 2 large Fennel Bulbs
- 1 bunch Radishes
- 1 Cucumber
- 1/2 cup Crushed Hazelnuts
- 1 tbsp Dill
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Lemon
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper
Preparation: 10 min – Serving: 6
- Trim the top and bottom of the fennel bulbs.
- Remove and discard any tough outer layers.
- Cut the bulbs in half lengthwise and very thinly slice them crosswise.
- Slice very thinly radishes and cucumber.
- Whisk the extra-virgin olive oil with the juice of one lemon, salt and pepper.
- Combine fennels, radishes and cucumber in a large bowl.
- Add the dressing and mix well.
- Top with hazelnuts and chopped dill.