Soft Potato Gems
If it’s Thursday you can be sure that in a lot of Italian homes gnocchi will be on the menu. Why? Because it’s a long term tradition, they are cheap and very filling, ideal before lean Friday, the day of the week when we usually eat fish.
This is a classic and easy recipe, follow it and you will love it! Don’t be too hard on yourself, if the first time they don’t come out perfect (too hard or too soft), give it another try! It’s a matter of tact with practice you will regulate your hand to your palata and your family will love your soft potato jam.
I used a little wood gnocchi board to shape them but keep in mind that you can use instead a fork or the back of your cheese grater to obtain a very similar result.
- Potato 2 lb
- All Purpose Flour 1/2 lb
- Egg 1
- Salt 1 pinch
- In a large pot boil the potatoes for 40 minutes
- Pell the potatoes while still hot
- Mesh the potatoes
- Add the flour
- Work until unified
- Add the egg and the pinch of salt
- Mix well and obtain a slightly wet dough
- Shape the dough in long pieces and roll them into rope
- Cut into 1 inch pieces
- Whit your thumb roll each piece on a wood gnocchi board or on a fork
- Toss them with extra flour and lay them on a kitchen towel well separated from each other
- Cook in salted boiling water for 2 minutes