Who hasn’t heard of the BLT? It is one of the most iconic sandwiches in the world …but did you know it originated in England? Well it did, and that’s where it still remains one of the most popular dishes on-the-go right next to Fish n’ Chips. The first thing that comes to mind when thinking of this British quick meal is not California’s sunny beaches, but that’s exactly where this sandwich ended up. It traveled halfway across the world and got a brand new life as the California BLT!
When it comes to ingredients, I thought this one was as simple as it gets. The name says it all, bacon, lettuce and tomatoes, right? Wrong! As usual, Google had a thing or two to teach me. There’s a plethora of experts pontificating about the perfect BLT.
Instead of hopping on a plane and flying to London to try out the original, we’ve decided to do some experimenting of our own. The result was the California BLT! One old classic with a simple variation, lots and lots of avocado! Give it a try, we’re hooked!
- 1 Ciabatta Bread
- 2 leafs of Green Lettuce
- 1 Avocado
- 3 slices Roma Tomato
- 2 slices Bacon
- 1 tbsp Creamy Cilantro-Avocado Dressing
- 1 slice Red Onion
- Salt and Pepper
Preparation: 15 min – Serving: 1
- Cook bacon until crispy, then drain on paper towels.
- Warm the previously cut ciabatta bread and reduce to a paste the avocado
- Spread the Cilantro-Avocado dressing on the bottom side of the bread
- Top with the 2 slices of green lettuce
- Spread half of the avocado paste and season with salt and pepper
- Lay 3 slices of tomato on top of it
- Chop the red onion and sprinkle on the tomato slices
- Top with the crispy bacon
- Spread the second half of the avocado paste on the top side of the bread
- Close your sandwich and enjoy 🙂