Strange but true four years ago I had no idea what a waffle was and much less what it tasted like. Today I’m an expert about them and that is because exactly four years ago Roberto came up with this idea of adding waffles to our Belgian Chocolate Boutique. In order to sell waffles we needed first to learn what they where, so the research started.
Everything began with us going around town trying all the different waffle variety and we soon discovered that even if Los Angeles is a huge metropolis the offer of authentic European waffle is very limited. After visiting all the possible restaurant in the city we started experimenting in our kitchen, we tried countless recipes, we had all our family and friends trying our tests, some really good, other not so much 🙂
As you can imagine we had few months of sugar rush :-), but we finally found the perfect waffle with his perfect recipes!
We really love both the Brussels and the Liege waffle; today we propose an original recipe from Liege. They are wonderful by them selves or topped with fruit and chocolate. Enjoy!
- 2 cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- one package active dry yeast
- 12 oz butter
- 1 cup water (preferably sparkling water)
- 1 cup pearl sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Melt the yeast in the melted butter
- Beat the eggs
- Add the butter mixture and the water and mix well
- Add the vanilla
- Add the flour and the sugar little by little always mixing
- Let it rise for at least one hour
- Add the sugar pearls and bake in the waffle iron for 5 minutes or until browning